Outpatient Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery
Dr. Meneghini and his colleagues are thought leaders in outpatient joint replacement and have published research about it. He also speaks at events nationwide, sharing research about outpatient joint replacement with other surgeons. For the right patients, outpatient joint replacement surgery can have excellent results.
Outpatient joint replacement procedures use the same technology and implants as traditional joint replacement surgery, but allow patients to recover in the comfort of their own homes.
Is outpatient joint replacement right for you? Learn more about Dr. Meneghini’s approach to outpatient joint replacement with these frequently asked questions. If you have additional questions, Dr. Meneghini and his team are happy to help.
What Outpatient Procedures Does Dr. Meneghini Offer?
Dr. Meneghini performs the following procedures at the outpatient surgery center:
More complex procedures like revision hip or knee replacements are not offered in an outpatient setting. Because revision procedures have a higher risk of complications, they will require a hospital stay for the patient’s safety.
Who Is a Candidate for Outpatient Joint Replacement Surgery?
Outpatient joint replacement surgery is not the best fit for everyone, but is a great option for patients who meet the criteria. Candidates for outpatient joint replacement are:
- Healthy, with minimal medical issues
- Motivated to recover at home, rather than staying at the hospital
Patient safety is a primary goal for Dr. Meneghini. He helped develop a tool called the Outpatient Arthroplasty Risk Assessment, which helps him determine a patient’s eligibility for outpatient joint replacement by assessing the patient’s risk level for early discharge. Dr. Meneghini will not recommend outpatient surgery to a patient if he feels that his or her safety may be at risk by going home early. Likewise, if a patient is a good candidate for outpatient surgery, but would feel more comfortable recovering in the hospital, inpatient surgery is still an option.
What Are the Benefits of Outpatient Joint Replacement?
- Convenience - The primary benefit of outpatient joint replacement surgery is being able to recover in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Dr. Meneghini’s team has robust educational materials available to help you make the necessary preparations for your recovery at home. Additionally, he and his team are happy to answer any questions that you may have before and after the procedure, so that you feel comfortable returning home the day of the procedure.
- Cost Savings - Cost savings are another potential benefit of outpatient joint replacement surgery. Though costs will vary based on your insurance plan, most patients have lower out of pocket costs when they are able to avoid an overnight hospital stay.
- Safe Environment - Because Dr. Meneghini performs outpatient joint replacements, it allows for even greater safety and peace of mind than procedures done at freestanding outpatient surgery centers. Though complication rates are low, if a health issue arises after your outpatient procedure, it is much easier to be admitted to the hospital.
How Does Outpatient Joint Replacement Differ from Inpatient Joint Replacement?
Dr. Meneghini approaches outpatient joint replacements in the same way that he approaches inpatient procedures. The surgical procedure is exactly the same, and the same implants are used. The only difference is that patients undergoing outpatient joint replacement are able to go home the day of surgery, while patients undergoing inpatient joint replacement will stay at the hospital overnight.
What Are the Outcomes of Outpatient Joint Replacement?
Dr. Meneghini has performed outpatient joint replacements since 2016. Over that time, he has seen results comparable to or even better than traditional inpatient joint replacements. He has seen a readmission rate of 0.8% and a 30-day ER visit rate of 1.7% for outpatient joint replacements, which is significantly lower than the statistics for inpatient joint replacements.
Though outpatient joint replacement patients typically have lower complication rates, patient outcomes have shown that having the procedure done in an outpatient setting does not increase complication rates for those patients.
Is Outpatient Joint Replacement Right for You?
If you feel that outpatient joint replacement surgery may be right for you, Dr. Meneghini can provide an evaluation to determine if you are a candidate. To schedule an appointment, please fill out our Appointment Request form or call the office at (317) 620-0232 . Dr. Meneghini and his team look forward to helping you and happy to answer any questions you may have along the way.